I was using t2 micro instance for my WordPress website for one year on trial basis as most of you might know AWS provide 750 hours/month free tier usage of its t2 micro instance for a year. But as year passed my instance usage reached high and its trial usage also reached to finish. Due to cost perspective I went to AWS customer support for assisting me in this regard they suggested me to use Amazon EC2 Reserve Instance instead of continuing using my existing Amazon EC2 On Demand Instance. I refer many blogs and articles which also suggested the same thus finally I opted for Amazon EC2 Reserve Instance option available from AWS.
Amazon EC2 On Demand Instance is useful only that scenario where say you want to run your instance (e.g. T2.Large or M4.Medium, or R3.Large, etc) for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a month or two for testing or experiment purpose this will cost you low as you are using it on demand whenever you require and when your work finish you have shutdown or terminate the instance but if you want to run your instance like my this WordPress website for 24 x7 it is recommend to opt for Amazon EC2 Reserve Instance. As per AWS Amazon EC2 Reserve Instance (RI) give drastically discount up to 75% if you compared it with On Demand pricing and also provide a capacity reservation when used in a specific Availability Zone.
Refer the Clip above which explain more about Amazon Reserve Instance
Converting Amazon EC2 OD to Amazon EC2 RI
Amazon EC2 RI is nothing but just like a discount coupon which could apply on your existing Amzaon EC2 OD instance or create new instance which gives you 75% discount on your total billing occur for running your instance 24×7.
Things need to remember while purchasing Amazon EC2 RI for your existing Amazon EC2 OD instance that you are purchasing Amazon EC2 RI from same region where your Amazon EC2 OD resides else Amazon RI pricing will not apply to your existing Amazon EC2 OD instance
So Lets start:
- Click on Services > Go to EC2.
- In EC2 Dashboard click on Reserve Instances and then click on Purchase Reserve Instances button available on your right side.
- Specify the offering detail like Platform, Instance Type, Tenancy etc and click on Search button.
- Choose the RI on basis of term, payment option and Offering Class as per your convenient and requirement and click on Add to Cart.
- Review your Shopping Cart and click on Purchase button.
- Once you purchase the RI successfully you will see RI instance state in payment pending but in few moments it state will convert into active which means your RI is successfully purchased. Also you can note down its expiry date under Expires information in Instance Details.
Note: Reserved Instances do not renew automatically when they expire, you can continue using the EC2 instance without interruption, but you will be charged On-Demand rates.
Congratulation your Amazon EC2 OD Instance has successfully converted to Amazon EC2 RI. You may also get confirm through checking it on your AWS account Billing page.