In this post I will guide you how to upgrade and manage SAPCONF5 tool and also, how to address High Swapping issue in Suse Linux Enterprise Server for SAP Application 12 (SLES for SAP Application 12) based SAP HANA server with the help of SAPCONF5 tool
SAPCONF5 tool is an upgraded version of SAPCONF4 tool. I had already written detail topic on How to tune SLES 12 for SAP Application SP3 for optimizing SAP HANA system performance in my previous post.
Some of the Salient feature of using SAPCONF5 over SAPCONF4:
- SAPCONF5 does not support tuned profile now which only used to tune CPU and do setting in IO scheduler which means if you want to enable the SAPCONF5 based tuning you need to stop and disable the existing running tuned service in SLES for SAP Application 12 server.
- SAPCONF5 run independently, all configuration related to supporting different SAP workload can be managed via SAPCONF5 configuration file /etc/sysconfig/sapconf centrally and this file contain pre-configure parameters as per recommended SAP Notes therefore no separate tuning is required in the server however it also allow us to customize this configuration file on based on specific tuning requirement
- It supports limited SAP profiles like NetWeaver and HANA but very powerful to handle most of the SAP related different workload efficiently.
Note: Profiles ase and bobj are also exist but since these profiles are not maintained so refrain to use these profiles with SAPCONF5 tool
Upgrading and managing the SAPCONF5 tool
- For upgrading from SAPCONF4 to SAPCONF5 you can run below command:
zypper update sapconf
- Once you upgrade the SAPCONF tool stop the tuned service in SLES for SAP Application 12 server and start and enable the sapconf service permanently
systemctl disable --now tuned systemctl enable --now sapconf
- To enable the specific sapconf profile you can run below command
sapconf stop && sapconf <profile>
Example for enabling HANA SAPCONF profile to support SAP HANA related workload you can run below command:
sapconf stop && sapconf hana
- You can check what profile is active right now in your SLES for SAP Application 12 server by viewing below file:
- Below command can tell you whether SAPCONF5 is properly running in your server or not
Addressing the High swapping issue in SLES for SAP Application 12 based SAP HANA server with the help of SAPCONF5
SAP HANA DB is in-memory based DB service if you are facing high Swapping in server you need to enable memory Page Caching for addressing this issue since High swapping may lead to high response time of Application and HANA DB services.
Enabling Page caching may improve the Application and HANA services response time and improve IO performance as well.
Refer SAP Note: 1557506 for more detail about this issue.
Follow the below steps for addressing the High Swap usage with the help of SAPCONF5 tool:
- Make existing sapconf configuration file backup
cp -vp /etc/sysconfig/sapconf /etc/sysconfig/sapconf.bak.`date +%d%b%Y-%T`
- Open the SAPCONF configuration file
- Locate the Page caching related below parameters and update their value as below:
ENABLE_PAGECACHE_LIMIT="yes" PAGECACHE_LIMIT_MB="1024" PAGECACHE_LIMIT_IGNORE_DIRTY="2"
- Save this sapconf config file and take restart of sapconf service
systemctl restart sapconf.service